Outage Safety Tips
- If you see a downed or damaged power line, do not go near it as it may still be energized. Call Harrison REMC immediately at 812-738-4115 or 812-951-2323.
- Call Harrison REMC as soon as your power goes out. Do not rely on neighbors to call.
- Limit the times you open the refrigerator or freezer. Food will remain frozen for up to 48 hours if the doors remain closed and the unit is in good working condition.
- Appliances and electronics are extremely sensitive to electrical spikes from lightning or other faults. If able, disconnect from the electrical source.
- Keep an emergency kit at home and in your car with plenty of supplies. See here for a list of items to keep in your kits.
- Improperly installed emergency power generators can expose your family to carbon monoxide poisoning and our crews to injury or even death.